I love weekends and having the extra time to make a delicious breakfast and this fab basil and tomato baked eggs dish from Crumbs is certainly one for a lazy weekend breakfast or brunch and perfect for slightly older kids to make.
Basil and tomato baked eggs
oven safe frying pan
A handy tip is to cut the red pepper nice and small so that you’re kids will eat it! Eggs are one of the most nutritious foods money can buy and are a natural source of many nutrients including high quality protein, vitamins and minerals. They’re also super quick to prepare meals with!
If you don’t have cherry tomatoes then a tin of tomatoes would be just as nice.
A great tip for breaking eggs with children if to break them into a separate container.
“This is the kind of thing you can really rustle up quickly. Just takes a few minutes to prepare. So it’s perfect for those nights when your busy and on the go…They keep you fuller for longer. It’s one of those things you can eat at lunch and you don’t need to stack before dinner time” Crumbs Food
For further information and lots of exciting recipes head over to http://www.eggrecipes.co.uk – the spinach, feta and pine nut omelette also looks like a good one to try.
- 200g cherry tomatoes
- A quarter of a red pepper, deseeded
- A slug of olive oil
- Black pepper
- A small handful of basil, finely chopped
- 50g parmesan cheese
- Half a garlic clove
- 2 British Lion eggs
- Sourdough to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half, and chop the red pepper into small pieces and pop in an ovenproof frying pan.
- Place on a medium heat, and while they are gently cooking – you are just taking the edge off – start prepping the rest of the ingredients.
- Chop the basil.
- Grate the cheese.
- Mince the garlic clove.
- Take the pan off the heat and stir in oil, black pepper, basil, cheese, garlic.
- Make two dips in the tomato mix for the eggs.
- Break the eggs into the dips and place the pan in the oven for 10 minutes. But keep an eye on it, to make sure you get the yolks runny. Remove from oven, sprinkle bit more cheese, pepper and herbs on top. Serve with sourdough.